Pear and date pouches with orange ricotta cream
5 serves of fruit
- 4 large (700g) pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup dates, chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 100mL freshly squeezed orange juice
- 6 sheets filo pastry, at room temperature
- olive or canola oil spray
- 250g reduced-fat smooth ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (180°C fan forced) and line baking tray with paper.
- Place pears, dates, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon orange rind and 60mL orange juice into a large saucepan over a moderate heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until pears have softened. Alternatively, fruit can be cooked, covered, in a heat-proof microwave-safe dish on high (100%) for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place a sheet of filo pastry flat on a clean surface. Spray with oil then place another filo sheet on top of it and spray with oil, repeat with one more filo sheet. Cut the stack in half to form 2 squares of layered filo sheets and set aside. Repeat with the remaining 3 sheets of filo to create 4 squares of filo stacked 3 high.
- Put ¼ pear mixture into the centre of each filo square. Bring up corners and gently pinch filo above fruit mix to shape into a pouch. Lightly spray with oil.
- Place on a tray and bake for 12-15 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Use a stick mixer or electric beaters to blend ricotta with honey, remaining orange juice and rind in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Serve parcels immediately with ricotta cream mix on the side.
- Substitute pears for nashi fruit or apples.
- Parcels should be eaten when warm.
- Large saucepan
- stirring spoon
- baking tray
- stick blender or electric beaters
- medium bowl
- serving plates
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2013 reproduced with permission.