This exercise is without doubt the best for strengthening the upper body. It’s a simple push up. Start by resting on your knees, hands forward, shoulder width apart. Keep a nice tight tummy and a flat back. Take a breath in as you lower your upper body down to within a couple of centimetres of the ground, and then push straight back up. It’s that easy.
1. Lying face down on the floor, place your hands palm down with your fingers pointing straight ahead.
2. Place hands slightly wider than shoulder width. Feet should be at hip width with toes on the floor.
3. Extend the elbows and raise the body off the floor.
4. Lower your entire body (legs, hips, trunk, and head) 4 to 8 inches from the floor.
5. Return to the start position by extending at the elbows and pushing the body up.
Don't forget to follow these steps during your workout:
Step 1: Start off with a warm-up exercise routine.
Step 2: It’s time to do the 2 minute stretch routine.
Step 3: Jump in - it's time to do the exercise programme. Choose one of the four programmes.
Step 4: Now begin the cool-down routine.
Step 5: Time to finish with the stretch routine.
Step 6: Congratulations you just found your 30 minutes of activity today.
Last updated: 11 March, 2011