Balsamic beef salad
12 serves of veg
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 500g lean beef, trimmed of fat
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice or unsweetened orange juice
- 4 cups (150g) mixed salad or baby spinach leaves
- 420g can cannellini beans or butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, sliced into half moons
- ½ red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- ½ cup (80g) drained fat-free semi-sundried tomatoes, chopped
- Combine balsamic vinegar and mustard together in a cup. Pour half the mixture into a non-metal dish. Add steaks, turning to coat with the marinade.
- Add orange juice to remaining vinegar mixture, cover and refrigerate beef for as long as time permits, from 30 minutes to overnight.
- Spray a griddle or large non-stick frypan with oil and place on medium to high heat.
- Drain steaks well and discard marinade. Grill for 3 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove from heat, cover and set aside to rest for 3 minutes before slicing thinly.
- Place salad leaves, beans, cucumber, onion and tomatoes in a large bowl. Pour over orange juice dressing and toss to combine.
- Top with steak and serve immediately.
- Tuna, shredded chicken can be used instead of beef
- Meal should be served immediately.
- non-metal dish
- griddle or non-stick pan
- sharp knife
- serving plates
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2012 reproduced with permission.