- 3 kg beef bones, cut small
- Oil for brushing
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 6 black peppercorns
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
Note: Serving quantity of fruit and veg will be zero. There will be some nutrients in the liquid but it’s hard to quantify once solid vegetables are drained
- Preheat oven to 220˚C.
- Place bones in a baking dish and roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile place chopped vegetables in plastic bag with 1 teaspoon of oil, coat vegetables.
- Turn the bones after 30 minutes and add vegetables.
- Cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a large saucepan. Add peppercorns, parsley, bay leaf and water to cover.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer over gentle heat for 3 hours.
- Strain into a bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Skim off surface fat the next day and use stock as required.
Stock will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze in portion sizes ready to use in recipes, eg: ½ cup, 1 cup, 2 cups
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Baking dish
- Large deep pot with lid
- Colander or strainer
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia. www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.
|250ml||Quantity per serving||Quantity per 100g|