Beetroot and Potato Salad
- 5 medium potatoes (suitable for steaming), scrubbed, cut into chunks
- 4 medium beetroot
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 2 medium sticks celery, sliced
- 1 medium Lebanese cucumber, sliced
- ½ cup plump raisins or sultanas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (parsley, mint, coriander and/or basil)
- Steam potatoes for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Boil unpeeled beetroot for 30-40 minutes until tender. Cool, peel and cut into wedges.
- Mix all salad ingredients in a serving bowl.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake well.
- Toss through salad and serve immediately
Tip: Salad can be prepared beforehand but do not add beetroot and dressing until just before serving as the beetroot will colour the potato and cucumber.
- Balsamic vinegar or lemon juice may be substituted for red-wine vinegar
Can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Serving bowl
- Medium sized saucepans
- Screw-to jar
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia. www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.