Berry rhubarb meringue pots
2 serves of veg
4.5 serves of fruit
- 4 stalks rhubarb (400g approx.), cut into 5cm lengths
- 3 medium pink lady apples(or seasonal alternative), peeled, cored and sliced
- 1½ cups (150g) frozen mixed berries
- ½ cup unsweetened apple juice or water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (160°C fan forced).
- Place rhubarb, apples, berries, juice or water and cinnamon into a large saucepan over a moderate heat. Cover, bring to the boil and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, over a low heat for 15-20 minutes until rhubarb is soft but apples retain their shape. Alternatively microwave in a covered microwave safe container on high (100%) for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a clean, dry bowl whisk the egg whites until soft peaks have formed. Add sugar and beat until sugar has dissolved.
- Divide cooked fruit between 4 small 1-cup capacity bowls and top with meringue, shaping into a peak. Sprinkle with almonds and bake for 10 minutes until golden. Serve immediately.
- Alternatively bake in a large 1 litre capacity overproof dish.
- Fruit can be cooked, covered, in a heat-proof microwave-safe dish on high (100%) for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Replace apples with pears or nashi fruit.
- Omit meringue top and serve stewed fruit in a breakfast parfait or simply with natural yoghurt.
- This dish is best eaten immediately.
- 4 small 1 cup capacity oven proof bowls
- Large saucepan
- Stirring spoon
- Medium bowl
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2013 reproduced with permission.