- ½ cup white rice
- 2 cup cabbage leaves (or 8 leaves)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 250g lean pork minced
- 50g packet reduced-salt cream of chicken soup mix
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup chives, chopped
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large capsicum, seeded and finely diced
- 425g can crushed tomatoes
- Cook rice following packet directions and cool.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Blanch cabbage leaves in boiling water for 1–2 minutes until soft, drain onto a clean tea towel and remove coarse stems.
- Combine remaining ingredients except canned tomatoes.
- Divide between the cabbage leaves and fold into rolls, ensuring the filling is enclosed.
- Place seam side down and pack tightly in an oblong baking dish.
- Spoon over crushed tomatoes and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Substitute chicken or beef for pork mince. Add 50g grated Parmesan cheese to the rice mixture for added flavour.
- Choose brown rice or a mix or white and brown for a nutty flavour.
Can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Small bowl
- Can opener
- Baking dish
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia. www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.