Carrot, Zucchini & Date Cake
- 2 cups dates, pitted and chopped
- ½ cup bran cereal (e.g. Allbran ®)
- ½ cup untoasted muesli
- 1 ½ cups low-fat milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup low-fat natural yoghurt
- 1 regular egg, beaten
- 1 cup (150g) zucchini, grated
- 1 cup (150g) carrot, grated
- 2 cups white self-raising flour
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- Combine dates, bran cereal, muesli, milk, sugar and cinnamon and allow to stand in fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 23cm square cake tin.
- Add yoghurt, egg, zucchini and carrot to the date mixture and mix well.
- Add flour and combine.
- Pour mixture into tin and bake for 1-1 ¼ hours until firm and browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Tip: This cake can be frozen. Individually wrap slices for a healthy lunch box treat
Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Medium-sized bowl
- Baking paper
- Square cake tin
- Wire rack
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia. www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.