Chicken and pineapple burgers
5 serves of veg
1 serves of fruit
- 500g lean chicken mince
- 100g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium celery stalk, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 1 regular egg
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon wholemeal plain flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 wholemeal bread rolls, cut open and spread with sweet chilli sauce
- 3 lettuce leaves, shredded
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 6 slices canned pineapple in natural juice, drained
- Process mushrooms, celery, onion, parsley, egg and soy sauce in a food processor until smooth.
- Add the chicken mince and the breadcrumbs to the food processor and process until smooth.
- Divide mixture into 6 and shape with a little flour to round patties larger than the width of the bread rolls.
- Brush a large non-stick pan with oil and cook patties for 4-5 minutes on each side until brown and cooked through.
- Serve on bread roll with lettuce, tomato and cucumber and top pattie with slice of pineapple.
- Pineapple pieces can be grilled in pan after cooking the patties for 2-3 minutes to soften and caramelise before adding to roll.
- Subsitute 500g beef for chicken if you prefer a beef burger.
Cooked patties may be kept in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Food Processer or Chopping board
- Large knife
- Large bowl
- Large non-stick fry pan
Reproduced with permission from Live Lighter 2015.