Chicken and Veggie Pie
- 4 small (600g in total) chicken breasts, skin removed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine (optional)
- 1 bay leaf or bouquet garni sachet
- 700g mixed vegetables of choice (carrots, cauliflower, leeks, cabbage, asparagus, baby corn, peas)
- 2 teaspoons cornflour*
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped mixed herbs (parsley, thyme, oregano, marjoram) or 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- freshly ground or cracked black pepper, to taste
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- olive or canola oil spray
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- In a large covered pan, slowly poach chicken breasts in chicken stock, sherry and bay leaf for 15–20 minutes depending on size.
- Cut vegetables into bite-sized pieces and add to the pan. Cover and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and chop up into bite sized pieces.
- Place chicken and vegetables into a deep pie dish, leaving behind the juices.
- Mix cornflour with milk and add to juices, bringing to the boil to thicken.
- Add herbs and season with pepper.
- Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables. Prepare pastry crust by spraying every second sheet of filo with a little oil and layering sheets on top of each other.
- Place over top of dish, scrunching up slightly.
- Spray with a little oil and bake until crisp and brown.
- Serve immediately.
- To reduce the fat content, filo may be brushed with beaten egg white instead of oil. This dish may be served as a casserole without the filo pastry.
- Serving suggestion: make individual in ramekin/pots.
- Can be gluten free with simple swaps such gluten free cornflour
Can be kept in refrigerator for up to 3 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Large covered pan with lid
- Small bowl
- Damp teatowel
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia. www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.