Chicken and Veggie Stir-fry
- 2 cups rice (brown)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 250g chicken breast, skin removed and cut into strips
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium stick celery, sliced
- 1 medium red capsicum, seeded and diced
- 125g snow peas, ends and strings removed
- 1 bunch bok choy, or 1 cup of cabbage, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons cornflour*
- 2 tablespoons reduced-salt soy sauce*
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, reduced salt
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- Cook rice following packet directions.
- While cooking, heat oil in a wok or large pan and stir-fry chicken until almost cooked. Set aside.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots, celery and capsicum to the wok and cook for 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pan, add snow peas and bok choy and cook for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix cornflour and soy sauce to a smooth paste then stir in stock and chilli sauce.
- Pour into stir-fry and heat through.
- Serve with rice.
- Use lean pork loin instead of chicken. Try noodles instead of rice.
- Can be gluten free with simple swaps such gluten free cornflour and soy sauce.
Can be kept in refrigerator for up to 3 days. may be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Wok or large non-stick frypan
- Small bowl
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia. www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.