- 1 kg chicken bones
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 6 black peppercorns
Note: Serving quantity of fruit and veg will be zero. There will be some nutrients in the liquid but it’s hard to quantify once solid vegetables are drained
- Place all ingredients in a large saucepan and add water to cover.
- Bring to the boil and simmer over gentle heat for 2 hours, skimming the surface when necessary.
- Remove from heat and strain into a bowl.
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate overnight.
- Skim off surface fat the next day and use stock as required.
- Makes 5 cups or 1.25L.
Stock will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze in portion sizes ready to use in recipes, eg: ½ cup, 1 cup, 2 cups.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Large deep pot
- Colander or Strainer
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia. www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.