Chickpea and couscous salad
- 1½ cups vegetable stock*
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin or curry powder
- 1½ cups couscous, uncooked
- 425g can chickpeas, drained
- 3 medium tomatoes, finely diced
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 2 spring onions, sliced (include green tops)
- rind of 1 lemon or orange, grated
- juice of 2 oranges (150 mL)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Bring stock to the boil and add cumin.
- Remove from heat and mix in couscous.
- Cover and allow to stand for 5 minutes until stock is absorbed.
- Mix in remaining ingredients.
- Serve warm or cold
- Substitute tomatoes with 1 red capsicum.
- Replace spring onions with ½ cup finely chopped red onion.
- *Use chicken stock as an alternative.
Can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Medium sized bowls
- Zester or Fine grater
- Can opener
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia. www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.