Chilli Con Carne
15 serves of veg
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 300g lean beef mince
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1/2 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder or 1 teaspoon fresh chili, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 440g canned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 800g canned tomatoes, crushed
- 1 medium stick of celery or 1 zucchini, grated or chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated or chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- black pepper, freshly ground (season to taste)
- 4 cups brown rice (from 2 cups uncooked rice), to serve
- coriander for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a medium sized deep pan, add onion and gently fry over low-medium heat.
- Add garlic, herbs and spices and cook until fragrant (1-2 minutes).
- Add mince and cook until evenly brown.
- Add kidney beans, tomatoes, vegetables and tomato paste.
- Simmer over low heat for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve over cooked brown rice and garnish with coriander.
- Serve with pasta and fresh shavings of parmesan cheese for an Italian spin
Keep in refrigerator for up to 3 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Medium-sized deep pan
- Chopping board
- Large knife