Creamy cannellini beans and tomato
12 serves of veg
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (reserve half for the end)
- 1/2 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- knob of fresh ginger, the size of a 50c piece, peeled and roughly chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (400g) tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 can (400g) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained,
- 2 punnets (500g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch of fresh basil, washed and torn
- 4 regular slices of sourdough bread, torn
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Brush large non-stick pan with olive oil, over medium heat, add onion, garlic, chilli and ginger and some pepper, then turn the heat down and cook for 10 minutes, until the onions are tender.
- Add the canned tomatoes, coconut milk and beans and simmer for 2-3 minutes, remove from heat.
- Scatter over the fresh tomatoes, followed by the basil, then tear the slices of bread into chunks and push them into the gaps between the tomatoes.
- Drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until the the bread is crisp and golden.
- Serve with a green salad*.
- Use haricot beans instead or cannelloni, prepare according to instructions on packet.
- * prepare a green salad, using mixed green leaves and dress with lemon juice and freshly ground pepper.
Can be kept in refrigerator for up to 7 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Pastry brush
- Can opener
- Large non-stick frypan