Creamy cauliflower soup
16 serves of veg
- 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped including the stem
- 3 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups reduced-salt vegetable or chicken stock*
- 2 cups reduced-fat milk
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped
- 6 wholemeal or multigrain bread rolls
- Roughly chop cauliflower, including stalk into 1 cm pieces.
- In a large pot add cauliflower, potato, onion, garlic and stock. Cook on high heat until boiling then reduce heat to simmer, covered, for 20 minutes until potato and cauliflower stalk is tender.
- Remove from heat, add the milk and puree with stick blender or in small batches in food processor. Add more milk if required and stir through to desired consistency.
- Ladle soup into bowls, season with freshly ground black pepper, sprinkle with chives and serve with a dinner roll.
- For spicy version, replace onion with diced leek and cook with garlic in olive oil spray until softened. Add a teaspoon of curry powder or 2 teaspoons of ground cumin and cook off for a minute until fragrant before adding remaining soup ingredients.
- *for a reduced salt version use the stock from the recipe collection.
Keep in refrigerator for up to 7 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Chopping board
- Large Knife
- Large deep pan (Soup pot)
- Stick blender or food processor
Reproduced with permission from Live Lighter 2015.