Crunchy tuna sandwich
3 serves of veg
- 425g can tuna in spring water, drained
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 spring onion, trimmed, chopped (including green tops)
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 8 slices wholegrain bread
- 4 cos lettuce leaves
- freshly ground or cracked black pepper, to taste
- Place tuna in a medium sized bowl and break up the large pieces with a fork.
- Stir the celery, spring onion and lemon pepper (optional) through the tuna, then add the mayonnaise and mix well to combine.
- Spread 4 slices of bread with ¼ of the tuna mixture each.
- Season with pepper then top each with a lettuce leaf and the remaining slices of bread then cut the sandwich in half.
- Add 1 tablespoon of grated reduced-fat cheese to each sandwich and toast in a sandwich maker until crisp and brown.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice instead of the lemon pepper for extra flavour.
- Replace cos lettuce with any other type of lettuce or salad leaves.
- Tuna may be replaced with salmon.
- Eat once prepared or cover and store in fridge until meal time.
- medium sized bowl
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia  reproduced with permission.