Currant carrot loaf
3 serves of veg
4 serves of fruit
Healthy school lunchboxes — 5 of 11
- Zucchini slice
- Sweet potato and cheese muffins
- Hummus and salad sandwich
- Date muesli slice
- Currant carrot loaf
- Light hummingbird muffins
- Mini Quiches
- Flavoured Popcorn
- All Year Round Fruit Salad
- Very veggie fritters
Now Reading: Currant carrot loaf
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¾ cup currants
- 3 medium carrots, grated (1½ cups)
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 190ºC (170ºC fan forced).
- Lightly spray a 20cm loaf tin with oil.
- Sift flours into a medium sized bowl, returning the husk remaining in the sieve to the bowl. Add sugar, currants and carrot. Mix well to combine.
- Measure milk in a medium bowl and mix in egg, oil and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to mix.
- Spoon combined ingredients into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin then turn out onto wire rack.
- Use other dried fruit such as sultanas, chopped dates, dried cranberries or dried apricots instead of currants.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place.
- Best eaten within 3 days of baking.
- This cake can be frozen up to 4 months. Individually wrap slices before freezing for a healthy lunch box treat.
- Loaf tin
- 2 medium sized bowl
- Stirring spoon
- Skewer or knife
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2012 reproduced with permission.