Date muesli slice
8 serves of fruit
- olive or canola oil spray
- 2 medium apples, core removed, coarsely grated with skin left on
- ⅓ cup water (80ml)
- ¼ cup margarine (50g)
- 2 cups dates, seeds removed
- 2 cups natural muesli
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ cup wholemeal plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan forced).
- Lightly spray a slice tin (approx. 25x30cm) with oil.
- Add apple, water, margarine and dates to a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for a further 5 minutes until the apple is soft. Cook uncovered for a further 5 minutes and stir occasionally until mixture thickens to a paste-like consistency.
- While apple and date mixture is cooking, place muesli in a large frypan. Stir over low heat for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Sift flours into a large bowl, returning husk remaining in the sieve to the bowl.
- Add cinnamon and muesli to the flours and mix to combine.
- Stir into the date mixture then spoon into prepared tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes until firm.
- Cool in tin before cutting into 32 slices.
- Slice can be stored in airtight container or frozen for up to 4 months.
- Slice tin
- Small saucepan and lid
- Large frypan
- Stirring spoon (wooden/plastic)
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2012 reproduced with permission.