4 serves of veg
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cup Arborio rice
- 3 cups stock (750 mL) (beef, chicken or vegetable)*
- 2 cups vegetables (500 g selection of fresh seasonal vegetables eg; 1 carrot, diced, 1 cup broccoli, ½ cup sweet corn kernels) or 500g frozen mixed vegetables.
- 60g grated Parmesan cheese
- Black pepper, season to taste (optional)
- Freshly torn basil or chopped parsley leaves or dried herbs (optional)
- Dice the onion and chop fresh vegetables, if using.
- Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan, add vegetables and gently stir for a few minutes.
- Add the rice and mix over a gentle heat for a few minutes or until the rice grains look white in colour.
- Add the stock and a few shakes of pepper. Bring the rice to the boil, stirring once or twice.
- Cover with a lid and turn the heat down as low as possible.
- Allow to simmer very gently for 15 – 20 minutes. (Rice should still have a slight nuttiness in the centre). Do not remove the lid during the cooking time.
- Toss gently with a fork, season to taste with pepper.
- Top with parmesan cheese and sprinkle with freshly torn basil or chopped parsley leaves or dried herbs. Serve immediately.
- Use the chicken, vegetable or beef stock from recipe collection for a reduced salt version.
Can be kept in refrigerator for up to 7 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Large saucepan with lid