Fluffy spinach and mushroom omelette
1 serves of veg
- 2 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk
- olive or canola oil
- 4 button mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- freshly ground or cracked black pepper, to taste
- Place the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Add the milk and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft meringue-like peaks are formed. Gently fold egg whites into the egg yolk mixture and set aside.
- Lightly oil non-stick frying pan and place over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook on medium heat for 3 minutes until softened.
- Add baby spinach and cook for a further minute until wilted. Remove from pan and wipe pan clean.
- Lightly oil pan again and return to medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture and cook for 2-3 minutes or until surface is nearly firm. Sprinkle the cheese, mushrooms, spinach, chives and pepper over half the omelette, then fold over the other side to enclose the filling.
- Change omelette filling to include any combination of vegetables you prefer, such as sliced asparagus, chopped tomato, rocket leaves, leek, broccolini or roasted red capsicum.
- For an Asian twist, try snow peas, bean sprouts, spring onion and a sliced long red chilli.
- Substitute the chives with other fresh herbs such as basil, parsley or thyme
- Eat immediately
- Medium bowl
- Non-stick frypan
- Egg lifter
- Serving plate
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2012 reproduced with permission.