Frozen tropical sorbet
- ½ of 440g can crushed pineapple
- 1 medium ripe banana, frozen
- pulp of 1 passionfruit
- seasonal fruit for garnish
- Roughly chop frozen fruit and place in the bowl of a food processor.
- Process until fruit becomes granular. Scrape down sides of bowl with a spatula and process again.
- Repeat 4-5 times until fruit mixture is a smooth, thick and creamy texture. Add passionfruit and process once more.
- Spoon into bowls and serve immediately with fresh seasonal fruit.
Serving suggestion: Fill the cavity of a seeded halved rockmelon with sorbet. Freeze until solid then cut into wedges to serve.
When plentiful, mango flesh and ripe peeled bananas can be frozen individually in zip-lock bags or plastic wrap for use in sorbet and fruit smoothies. Freeze until solid for at least 4 hours or overnight before processing.
- Add 1½ tablespoons cocoa to frozen bananas for a chocolate flavouring.
- Other sorbet combinations include:
- Banana sorbet – 3 ripe bananas, frozen.
- Blueberry sorbet – 1 cup frozen blueberries, 1 ripe banana, frozen plus 2 tablespoons low-fat milk.
- Mango sorbet – flesh of 1 mango, frozen, plus juice of ½ lime.
- Pineapple sorbet – 440g can crushed pineapple in natural juice, frozen.
- Sorbet can be frozen in an airtight container; remove from freezer 30 minutes before serving to soften.
- Food processor
- Serving bowls
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2012 reproduced with permission.