- olive or canola oil spray
- 1½ cups wholemeal flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- ½ cup bran*
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup sultanas
- 1 apple, core removed and diced, skin left on
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup)
* Either ‘natural bran’ like wheat germ, or ‘processed bran’ like Allbran© may be used. Alternatively use oat bran or extra oats.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan forced).
- Lightly spray muffin tins with oil or line with paper cases.
- Sift flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl, returning the husk remaining in the sieve to the bowl.
- Add sugar, bran, oats, sultanas and apple and mix until well combined.
- Place buttermilk, egg and mashed bananas in a bowl and mix with a fork.
- Pour banana mixture into dry ingredients and gently fold together until just combined.
- Spoon into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes for mini-muffins or 20 minutes for larger muffins until firm and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in tin for 5 minutes then turn onto a wire rack.
- Instead of buttermilk add 1 teaspoon white vinegar to ¾ cup low-fat milk.
- Replace sultanas with currants, dried cranberries or chopped dried apricots.
- Replace apple with pear to vary the flavour.
- Muffins freeze well in snap-lock bags for up to 3 months, but are best eaten on the day they are made.
- muffin tray
- muffin cases
- large bowl
- medium bowl
- cooling rack
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia  reproduced with permission.