Gourmet vegetarian sandwich
3.5 serves of veg
- 4 slices thick wholegrain bread
- 2 teaspoons basil pesto
- 1 cup baby spinach, rocket or butter lettuce leaves
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup drained 97% fat-free semi-dried tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup drained 97% fat-free marinated artichokes, chopped
- ¼ small red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 8 basil leaves, roughly torn
- 4 slices shaved Swiss cheese
- Spread 2 slices of bread with pesto.
- Place half of the remaining ingredients on each slice before placing the remaining slices of bread on top.
- Cut sandwiches in half.
- Replace Swiss cheese with 4 baby bocconcini, thinly sliced.
- Replace pesto with baba ganoush (eggplant dip) or hummus.
- Add in any vegetables such as mushrooms, sweet potato or eggplant that have been chargrilled with minimal oil.
- Sandwich can be toasted until heated through and golden.
- Eat immediately or cover and store in the fridge until meal time.
- chopping board
- cooks knife
- butter knife
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia  reproduced with permission.