Grilled chicken and noodle lettuce wraps
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 coriander stalks and leaves, roots discarded
- ⅓ cup lime juice (juice of 2 limes)
- ⅓ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 8 (300g) chicken tenderloins
- 125g dried rice vermicelli or bean thread noodles
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 375mL can coconut flavoured evaporated skim milk
- olive or canola oil spray
- 8 iceberg lettuce leaves
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 4 spring onions, chopped (including green tops)
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 cup chopped coriander, extra
- Place garlic, coriander, lime juice and vinegar into a small food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- To make dipping sauce, remove 1/3 cup of mixture, stir in sweet chilli sauce, cover and refrigerate for as long as time permits, from 30 minutes to overnight.
- Add remaining coriander mixture to chicken in a small bowl, stir to coat and set aside to marinate.
- Place noodles in a large bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Add curry paste to a small saucepan on medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes until fragrant then turn to low heat and add evaporated milk. Stir until curry paste is mixed through, simmer for 1 minute, then add drained noodles. Mix well and remove from heat.
- Spray a grill pan with oil and place on high heat. Cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side.
- To serve, place a chicken tenderloin in a lettuce leaf. Top with a spoonful of noodles, bean sprouts, carrots, spring onions and sprinkle with coriander.
- Spoon over ½ tablespoon of dipping sauce and roll up to eat.
Place lettuce, noodles, chicken, other vegetables and dipping sauce onto separate serving plates and allow diners to fill a leaf with some of each filling, roll into a parcel and eat with their fingers.
- Replace chicken tenderloins with beef strips, turkey mince or a tin of rinsed and drained kidney beans.
- Assembled wraps are best eaten immediately.
- Noodles can be made earlier and stored in the fridge.
- Food processor/ blender
- Small bowl
- Large bowl
- Small saucepan
- Grill pan
- Serving plates
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2012 reproduced with permission.