Grilled pumpkin, asparagus and chicken salad
16 serves of veg
- olive or canola oil spray
- 8 chicken tenderloins (400g)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 bunches asparagus, ends trimmed
- 450g Japanese, Kent or butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 5mm thick slices
- 420g no-added-salt brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 150g baby spinach or mixed leaves
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Spray a barbecue, char-grill or griddle with oil, pre-heat to medium-high.
- Place chicken in a small dish with ½ the crushed garlic and lemon juice; stir to coat, cover and refrigerate a chicken for as long as time permits, from 30 minutes to overnight.
- Place asparagus on heated grill and cook for 7 minutes or until lightly charred, turning occasionally. Remove from grill, cut into 5cm pieces then set aside.
- Respray grill and cook pumpkin in batches for 2-3 minutes each side until charred and just tender. Remove from heat, cut into 3cm triangles and set aside.
- Respray grill and cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side until cooked through.
- In a small bowl combine lentils, remaining ½ clove crushed garlic and balsamic.
- Divide spinach or salad leaves, tomatoes, lentils with dressing, asparagus and pumpkin among serving plates. Sprinkle with parsley then top with chicken; serve immediately.
- Add other chargrilled vegetables such as green beans, broccolini, cauliflower, zucchini, eggplant, capsicum or sweet potato.
- Include other veggies such as sliced red capsicum, cucumber, radish, red onion or semi-sundried tomatoes.
- Replace lentils with rinsed and drained no-added-salt cannellini beans, butter beans, chickpeas or four bean mix.
- Replace chicken with 200g reduced-fat feta cheese for a vegetarian choice.
- Best eaten immediately
- Char grill or griddle
- Small dish
- Cooks knife
- Chopping board
- Small bowl
- Serving plate.
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2013 reproduced with permission.