Grilled salmon with brown rice salad
14 serves of veg
2.5 serves of fruit
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (from 1 cup uncooked rice)
- 6 spring onions, thinly sliced (include green tops)
- 1 medium red capsicum, seeded and finely diced
- 1 medium yellow capsicum, seeded and finely diced
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup currants
- 4x 100g salmon fillets
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 bunch bok choy, quartered
- ½ cup unsalted roasted cashews (70g), roughly chopped, to serve
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- juice of ½ a lemon
- In a large bowl, mix together warm cooked rice, spring onions, capsicums, parsley and currants.
- Make dressing by combining soy sauce, vinegar, honey, sesame oil and lemon juice in a cup. Pour over salad and stir through well.
- Place bok choy in a steaming basket over a medium saucepan of boiling water. Cover and steam 3 minutes or until tender. Alternatively microwave in a covered dish with a tablespoon of water on high (100%) for 2-3 minutes until just cooked.
- Heat a griddle, barbeque grill or large non-stick frypan on high. Lightly spray each side of salmon with oil and season with pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook salmon for 3 minutes each side until golden brown and just cooked.
- Top rice salad with cashews then spoon onto serving plates.
- Add bok choy and salmon fillets. Serve immediately.
- Substitute capsicum with corn and diced carrots.
- Add other seasonal vegetables or frozen mixed vegetables.
- Rice salad minus cashews can be made and refrigerated for 3 days.
- Salmon is best eaten immediately.
- large bowl
- metal steamer
- large saucepan and lid or microwave-proof bowl
- large non-stick fry pan or barbeque grill
- serving plates
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia  reproduced with permission.