Hearty Minestrone Soup
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 425g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups beef stock*
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup small pasta*
- 6 Brussel sprouts, finely sliced or 1 cup sliced cabbage
- 300g can four bean mix, rinsed and drained
- Cook onion and garlic in a large pot with a little water until onion is translucent.
- Add tomato, carrot, celery, parsnip, tomato paste, bay leaf, beef stock and water.
- Bring to the boil, add the pasta and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Add Brussel sprouts and beans.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Substitute lentils or butter beans for the four bean mix.
- Spinach or peas are tasty alternatives to Brussels sprouts and cabbage.
- Use the beef stock from recipe collection for a reduced salt version.
- Can be gluten free with simple swap such as gluten free pasta
Can be kept in refrigerator for up to 7 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Can opener
- Large pot
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia. www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.