Homestyle baked beans
8 serves of veg
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 420g can no-added-salt cannellini beans or butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- freshly ground or cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices thick wholegrain bread, toasted
- Spray oil in a medium saucepan or frypan and cook onion and garlic over medium heat until softened.
- Add the tomato paste and smoked paprika. Stir through and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the can of tomatoes, including juice, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Add in the cannellini beans and stir until heated through.
- Remove from heat, mix in the parsley, pepper and serve on toast.
- Replace cannellini beans with canned no-added-salt haricot, butter, borlotti or red kidney beans.
- Add one thinly sliced fresh long red chilli to the onion for a spicy light lunch.
- Omit Worcestershire sauce for a vegetarian version.
- Beans can be stored in fridge for 3 days or frozen for up to 6 months.
- Medium saucepan
- stirring spoon
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2012 reproduced with permission.