Lamb Shank Casserole
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks
- Freshly ground or cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 turnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
- 400g can whole tomatoes
- 1 2/3 cup (400mL) water
- ½ cup red wine (optional)
- A few fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, marjoram, oregano) or ½ teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Heat oil in a frypan. Toss lamb with flour and pepper in a plastic bag.
- Remove lamb, pan-fry until brown on all sides and place in a large casserole dish.
- Add all vegetables except tomatoes to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, turning constantly until they begin to colour slightly.
- Tip in remaining seasoned flour from the plastic bag.
- Add tomatoes and water and stir into vegetables.
- Add red wine and herbs.
- Bring to the boil and pour over lamb.
- Cover closely with a lid and bake in oven for 2–2 ½ hours until meat is falling off the bones.
- 500g cubed chuck or blade steak may be used instead of lamb shanks.
Can be stored in refrigerator for up to 3 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Large non-stick frypan
- Ovenproof baking dish and lid
- Baking paper
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia. www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.