Layered Fajitas and Salsa
12 serves of veg
- 6 large corn tortilla
- 2 cans (440g) of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped finely
- 1 large red chilli, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 teaspoon tabasco sauce
- Juice of half a lime
- 250g natural low fat yoghurt
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch fresh coriander, chopped finely
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced finely
- 2 teaspoons of oilve oil
- 1 small red chilli, sliced finely
- Heat a medium non-stick frypan, brushed with oil, add onion, garlic and chilli and cook until softened.
- Add the beans and cook for 10 minutes, stirring and mashing gently with a fork.
- Add the coriander, tabasco sauce and lime juice, stir well and remove from heat.
- Prepare the salsa, by mixing in a small bowl, the tomatoes, coriander, onion, small red chilli and 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Heat a round non-stick frypan (a bit larger than the tortilla), brush with olive oil, quickly heat each tortilla on both sides (about 1-2 minutes) set aside, repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Place a fajita (corn tortilla) on a plate and spoon over the bean mixture and spread a dollop of yoghurt and then a spoonful of salsa. Repeat layering until the final fajita which will act as a lid.
- Press down firmly, top with remaining salsa and place in the refrigerator and allow to set.
- Cut into pie wedges.
- Using dried beans and preparing according to instructions on packet will result in a reduced salt content, but add 2 hours to the cooking time.
Can be kept in refrigerator for up to 7 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Can opener
- small bowls
- medium non-stick frypan