Lentil veggie toast
5 serves of veg
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 cup vegetables (e.g. spinach, onion, mushroom, capsicum), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked lentils, drained
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- freshly ground or cracked black pepper
- 2 slices wholegrain bread
- parsley, chopped, to serve
- 2 grilled tomatoes, to serve
- Lightly spray the BBQ cooking plate with oil and preheat.
- Cook the finely chopped vegetables for 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove the vegetables and place into a medium sized bowl. Leave to cool for 3 minutes.
- Add the lentils, egg and pepper. Mix well.
- Using an egg ring, cut a hole in each slice of bread. Place bread on the cooking plate.
- Pour the egg mixture into the holes of the bread. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until mixture begins to firm.Turn bread over carefully and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove and place onto 2 plates.
- Top each slice of bread with parsley and grilled tomatoes.
- Replace spinach and capsicum with zucchini and corn.
- Choose a variety of different coloured seasonal vegetables.
- Eat immediately.
- BBQ cooking plate
- medium sized bowl
- egg rings
- serving plates
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2012 reproduced with permission.