Light hummingbird muffins
6 serves of fruit
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 200mL low-fat vanilla yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large bananas)
- 440g can crushed pineapple in natural juice
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup walnuts (18 halves)
- olive or canola oil spray
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180ºC fan forced).
- Spray muffin tins with oil.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar together with an electric mixer on high speed for 2 minutes until light and creamy.
- Gently mix in yoghurt, vanilla, bananas and pineapple with juice.
- Sift flour and cinnamon onto the batter then stir to combine but do not over mix.
- Spoon mixture into prepared muffin tins (3/4 full) and top each muffin with a walnut half.
- Bake mini-muffin tins for 20 minutes and larger muffins for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool in tins for 5 minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For a denser muffin, substitute 3 cups of plain self-raising flour for 1½ cup wholemeal self-raising flour and 1½ cup plain self-raising flour.
- Muffins can be frozen in airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Muffin tray
- large bowl
- electric mixer
- stirring spoon
- cooling rack
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2012 reproduced with permission.