Moroccan beef with couscous
12 serves of veg
3.5 serves of fruit
- ½ cup 100% unsweetened orange juice
- 3 teaspoons Moroccan seasoning
- 6 x 125g lean beef steak, fat trimmed
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- 10 dried apricots, chopped
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin or ground coriander
- 420g can no-added-salt chickpeas, drained
- ½ cup chopped coriander
- 2 cups (250g) green beans, trimmed and cut into 5cm lengths
- 1 small head broccoli or broccolini, cut into florets
- Mix ¼ cup of orange juice and 2 teaspoons seasoning in a non-metal dish.
- Add steaks, turning to coat in juice mixture. Cover and set aside for 20 minutes to marinate.
- In a large heatproof bowl combine onion, apricots, couscous, cumin or dried coriander and remaining teaspoon of seasoning.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ¼ cup of orange juice and boiling water. Add the orange juice mixture to couscous mix, cover and set aside.
- Place beans and broccoli in a steaming basket over a medium saucepan of boiling water. Cover and steam 5-6 minutes or until bright green and tender. Alternatively microwave in a covered dish with 1-2 tablespoons of water on high (100%) for 4 minutes until just tender. Stir after 2 minutes to ensure even cooking
- Place a metal steamer into a large saucepan with a few centimetres of water. Add beans and broccoli and bring to the boil. Steam with the lid on for 5-6 minutes or until bright green and tender.
- Heat a large non-stick frypan. Drain steaks well and discard marinade. Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove from heat, cover and set aside to rest for 3 minutes.
- Fluff couscous with a fork to separate grains and stir through chickpeas and coriander.
- Substitute broccoli with a bunch of broccolini or 10 yellow squash.
- Substitute beef with lamb steak.
- Beef can be stored covered in the fridge for 2 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Non-metal dish
- heatproof bowl
- small bowl
- metal steamer or microwave safe covered dish
- large saucepan
- large non-stick frypan
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2012 reproduced with permission.