- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1cm slices
- 400g lean lamb mince
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 425g can crushed tomatoes with herbs
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/3 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- Olive or canola oil spray
- 1 ¼ cups low-fat milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons plain flour
- 15g grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Sprinkle eggplant with salt and leave for 30 minutes.
- Heat non-stick frypan and cook lamb over medium-high heat until browned.
- Remove lamb and cook the onion and garlic in meat juices until softened.
- Return the meat, add carrot, tomatoes, tomato paste, wine and bay leaf, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat the grill. Rinse eggplant slices with water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Spray lightly with oil and grill until golden on each side.
- Lay half the slices in an oblong baking dish (30cm x 20cm).
- Cover with half the meat sauce. Repeat.
- In a saucepan, mix a little milk and flour until smooth.
- Stir in remaining milk. Cook, stirring, over low heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir through Parmesan cheese.
- Stir in ricotta, cayenne pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour over dish and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Can be kept in refrigerator for up to 3 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Large non-stick frypan
- Grill plate
- Baking dish
- Paper towel
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia. www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.