- In a large heavy saucepan heat the oil and cook onion, garlic and mushroom until softened but not coloured.
- Add rice and stir until it ‘crackles’, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add the wine and about half a cup of stock at a time, stirring constantly and adding more stock when the liquid has absorbed.
- Continue until rice is tender and all stock has been absorbed. It should be a creamy consistency, neither dry nor ‘soupy’.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Using a pre-prepared stock liquid or powder will result in a higher sodium/salt content
Chicken and corn risotto
- Cook risotto as above.
- Add 200g cooked sliced chicken and a 440g can sweet corn kernels, drained, at the end of cooking.
- Allow to stand, covered, to heat through.
Can be kept in refrigerator for up to 3 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Large deep saucepan
- Ladle or heatproof jug
- Can opener
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia. www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.