17 serves of veg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion,chopped
- 3 cloves garlic,finely chopped or crushed
- 250g lean beef mince
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 can (440g) crushed tomatoes in juice
- 1 can (440g) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped into 1 cm pieces
- 1/2 medium green capsicum, chopped into 1 cm pieces
- 1/2 medium red capsicum, chopped into 1 cm pieces
- 4 large wholemeal pita breads
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- chilli flakes
- 8 tablespoons natural reduced-fat yoghurt
- Heat oil in large frypan and cook onion, garlic and beef mince for about 5 minutes until onions are clear and meat is browned evenly.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the pita bread, cheese, spring onions, chilli flakes and yoghurt). Season with freshly ground black pepper and simmer for 10 minutes with lid off, stirring occasionally.
- Break pieces of pita bread (cut or torn into triangle shapes) and place on an ovenproof plate or tray. Cook in oven for 10 minutes at 180ºC until crunchy.
- Spoon beef and vegetable mixture over pita bread and top with grated cheese, and serve with a dollop of yoghurt and sprinkle spring onions and chilli flakes.
- Double the recipe and freeze individual portions for an easy dinner another day.
- This recipe can used to fill a jacket potato or wrapped in a burrito or jaffle toastie
May be kept in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Can opener
- Large non-stick frypan
- Baking tray