Pear and banana muffins
4 serves of fruit
- olive or canola oil spray
- 2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- 2 cups white self-raising flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150 mL low-fat natural yoghurt
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 large banana, peeled and chopped
- 1 pear, cored and diced
- ½ cup buttermilk or low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 170 °C.
- Lightly spray muffin trays with oil.
- Sift flours, returning husk from wholemeal flour to the bowl, add brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl mix eggs, yoghurt and juice.
- Combine with the flour mix and fold through fruit and milk (you may need less milk depending on moisture in fruit). Do not over-mix.
- Spoon mixture into the muffin tray. Bake near the top of the oven for 18-20 minutes until muffins are firm and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Turn onto a wire rack to cool
- Any unsweetened fruit juice may be used.
- Use apples, blueberries or other firm fruit to vary the flavour.
- Makes 12 muffins and 1 loaf, by spooning half the mixture into a greased loaf tin.
- Bake the loaf in the middle of the oven for 35 minutes, or until firm and golden brown.
- Bake near the top of the oven for 18-20 minutes.
Tip: Wrap muffins individually and freeze for a lunch box snack. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Muffin trays
- Mixing bowl
- Medium sized bowl
- Wire rack
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia. www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.