Pear and date pouches with orange ricotta cream
5 serves of fruit
- 4 large (700g) pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup dates, chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 100mL freshly squeezed orange juice
- 6 sheets filo pastry, at room temperature
- olive or canola oil spray
- 250g reduced-fat smooth ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (180°C fan forced) and line baking tray with paper.
- Place pears, dates, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon rind and 60mL juice into a large saucepan over a moderate heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until pears have softened. Alternatively, fruit can be cooked, covered, in a heat-proof microwave-safe dish on high (100%) for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place a sheet of filo flat on a clean surface. Spray with oil then repeat with two more sheets. Cut the stack in half to form 2 squares and set aside. Repeat with remaining sheets of filo.
- Put ¼ pear mixture into the centre of each filo square. Bring up corners and gently pinch filo above fruit mix to shape into a pouch. Lightly spray with oil.
- Place on a tray and bake for 12-15 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Use a stick mixer or electric beaters to blend ricotta with honey, remaining juice and rind in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Serve parcels immediately with ricotta cream mix on the side.
- Substitute pears for nashi fruit or apples.
- Parcels should be eaten when warm.
- Large saucepan
- stirring spoon
- baking tray
- stick blender or electric beaters
- medium bowl
- serving plates
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2013 reproduced with permission.