Pesto baked mushrooms with roast tomatoes
5 serves of veg
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 8 small or 4 large flat field or Portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto
- 4 wholegrain English muffins, halved
- fresh basil leaves, torn, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
- Place tomatoes on a tray lined with baking paper and drizzle with vinegar.
- Trim mushroom stems and spread pesto onto the underside of the mushrooms.
- Add mushrooms to the tray and bake for 20 minutes.
- Just prior to serving, toast muffins and place on plates.
- Top muffins with mushroom, divide tomatoes between plates and sprinkle with basil. Serve immediately.
- Replace cherry tomatoes with 4 halved Roma tomatoes. Cut a thin slice off the base of each so they sit flat while baking.
- Instead of basil pesto, try sundried tomato or chilli pesto.
- Place a few leaves of English spinach under the mushrooms.
- Eat immediately.
- Baking tray
- chopping board
- serving plates
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2013 reproduced with permission.