Plum Sponge Pudding
- olive or canola oil spray
- 2 cups stewed, poached or canned plums, well drained
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ¾ cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk, hot
- 150g low-fat vanilla yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly spray baking pan (20cm x 20cm) with oil.
- Place fruit in pan. Whisk eggs and sugar with an electric mixer for 4–5 minutes until very thick and creamy.
- With a spatula fold in flour and hot milk as lightly as possible.
- Pour over fruit to cover and bake for 25–30 minutes until golden brown and firm to touch.
- Serve with low-fat vanilla yoghurt.
Tip: Make sure there is no liquid or juice with the fruit or the sponge topping will not cook properly.
- Try canned apricots, peaches, or pie apples.
- When in season, try the following combinations:
- mulberry and apple
- rhubarb and raspberries
- pear and rhubarb
Can be stored in the refrigerator for up 7 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Mixing bowl
- Whisk and Spoon
- Baking pan
- Electric mixer
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia. www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.