11 serves of veg
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium red capsicum, seeded and diced
- 1 medium green capsicum, seeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- freshly ground or cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 500ml salt-reduced chicken stock
- 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 400g uncooked (green) prawns, peeled, deveined, with tails intact
- ½ cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- lemon wedges, to serve
- Spray a large non-stick pot with oil and place on high heat. Cook onion for 3 minutes until softened, stirring often.
- Add garlic, celery, capsicums, paprika and cayenne; season with pepper. Cook for 3 minutes until fragrant then stir in rice, stock and tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil, stirring often, then reduce heat to medium, cover pot and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add prawns to the pot, stir through rice and cook a further 3-5 minutes until they change colour and are cooked through.
- Stir through parsley, reserving a little for garnish.
- Divide jambalaya between plates, top with parsley and lemon wedges and serve immediately
- Substitute cubed cooked chicken for prawns.
- Serve immediately.
- Large non-stick saucepan and lid
- stirring spoon
- serving plates
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2013 reproduced with permission.