Pumpkin Mac and Cheese with bacon
7 serves of veg
- 2 bacon rashers, trimmed of fat and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400g butternut pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 1½ cups water
- 2 cups pasta (macaroni, penne, shells or spirals), cooked according to instructions on packet and drained
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 220ºC.
- Heat a small non-stick fry pan over high heat. Add the bacon and cook for 3 minutes until crispy. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat, add the onion, garlic and cook until soft.
- Add the pumpkin and 1½ cups of water to the pan and allow pumpkin to cook until soft.
- Remove from heat and blend until smooth.
- Stir through the cooked pasta, pumpkin, bacon, zucchini and half the parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish, spread with remaining parmesan and breadcrumbs.
- Cook in oven for 15 minutes or until top is golden and crunchy.
- Garnish with parsley and divide among bowls.
Can be kept in refrigerator for up to 7 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Small non-stick fry pan
- Large pan
- Baking dish