Rice Salad with Tuna
5 serves of veg
- 1 ½ cups brown rice or pasta (uncooked or packet of parboiled brown rice)
- 1 cup canned or frozen peas/corn
- ½ green capsicum, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 spring onions (shallots), diced
- 400g can tuna in springwater drained and flaked
- juice of 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ground pepper
- Cook the rice in a large saucepan of boiling water for 30 minutes or until tender. If using, packet of parboiled brown rice, cook according to packet instructions.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add peas and cover and stand for 5 minutes (or cook peas in microwave)
- Drain rice and peas in a large colander and set aside for 30 minutes to cool to room temperature.
- Add rice, tomatoes, capsicum, shallots and tuna in a large bowl.
- Make dressing by combining lemon juice and oil in screw-top jar and seasoning with pepper and secure lid and shake to combine.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to combine.
- Omit tuna and add in canned legumes for a vegetarian option.
- Omit tuna and use canned salmon
- Place leftovers on a small wholegrain pita bread or multigrain bread to make a sandwich.
Can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Large saucepan
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Large bowl
- small jar with screw-top lid
- can opener