Rosemary lamb with Sicilian vegetables
19 serves of veg
- 4 x 120g lamb leg steaks, trimmed of fat
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 8 unpeeled baby potatoes, washed
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 sticks celery, trimmed and diced
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and diced
- 400g can diced tomatoes with garlic and basil or 400mL passata
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
- ½ cup (50g) pitted olives, sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup basil, chopped
- Slice lamb steaks in half lengthways and add to a dish with 2 cloves crushed garlic and the finely chopped leaves from 2 sprigs of rosemary.
- Coat lamb with marinade, cover bowl and refrigerate while vegetables are prepared or for as long as time permits, from 30 minutes to overnight.
- Place unpeeled potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 10 minutes or until they can be easily pierced with a knife. Drain and set aside.
- Spray a large non-stick frypan with oil and place on high heat. Add lamb and sear on both sides for 30 seconds until browned. Remove from the pan; cover to keep warm.
- Cook onion with remaining 2 cloves garlic over medium to high heat for 3 minutes, stirring often; add celery and eggplant and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add zucchini, capsicum, tomatoes, vinegar, olives and remaining 2 rosemary sprigs; season with pepper.
- Simmer covered for 20 minutes, or longer if time permits, stirring occasionally until thickened. Remove rosemary sprigs.
- Return lamb to the pan to cook for 2 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking.
- Place lamb on serving plates then stir basil through vegetables and serve with potatoes.
- Thinly sliced carrot rings can be added in step 6.
- For vegetarian option omit the lamb.
- Stew can be served warm or cold with crusty bread, polenta, gnocchi or as a pasta sauce.
- Stew can be cooled and frozen for up to 2 months.
- Sharp knife
- large non-stick fry pan and lid
- serving plates
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2013 reproduced with permission.