Shakshuka (pan baked eggs)
17 serves of veg
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium red capsicum, seeded and diced
- 440g salt-reduced baked beans
- 800g canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- freshly ground or cracked black pepper, to taste
- 125g spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- ½ punnet cherry tomatoes (125g), halved
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped, to serve
- Spray a large frypan with oil and place on medium to high heat.
- Add onion and cook for 3 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and capsicum and cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix through baked beans, canned tomatoes, cumin, paprika and pepper.
- Increase heat and to bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Add spinach leaves and gently mix until they start to wilt; sprinkle over cherry tomatoes.
- Using a spoon, create 6 little wells, then crack each egg into a well. Cover pan with lid and cook until whites are firm and yolks are just set, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, top with parsley and serve immediately.
- For extra heat, add 2-3 chopped green chillies or jalapenos when adding canned tomatoes.
- Shakshuka is best eaten immediately.
- frypan with lid
- stirring spoon
- serving spoon
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia  reproduced with permission.