16 serves of veg
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 500g lean minced beef or chicken
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs or ½ cup fresh herbs (eg basil, oregano, mixed herbs)
- 2 cans (400g) or 1 can (800g) tomatoes, crushed or pureed
- 1 celery stick or 1 zucchini, grated or chopped
- 1 carrot, grated or chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- black pepper, freshly ground (season to taste)
- 500g pasta (your choice of spaghetti penne, shells, spirals)*
- Heat oil in a medium-sized saucepan and then add onion and garlic.
- Gently fry onion mixture for a few minutes over a low-medium heat.
- Add mince, fry until brown.
- Add herbs, tomatoes, vegetables, tomato paste and pepper.
- Simmer over a low heat for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to instructions on packet. Drain.
- Serve with a large spoon of sauce over the pasta in a bowl.
- Up to 2 cups of the following fresh or frozen vegetables can be added to the sauce at Step 4 – sliced champignons, diced capsicum, eggplant, zucchini. These vegetables replace meat for a vegetarian alternative.
- Other meat variations include lamb mince, chopped chicken or pork or combinations of these meats.
- Can be gluten free with simple swap such as gluten free pasta
Can be kept in refrigerator for up to 3 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Large deep non-stick frypan or medium sized saucepans
- Chopping board
- Large knife