Spaghetti with chilli crab
10 serves of veg
- 300g wholegrain or high-fibre pasta (spaghetti or spirals)
- olive or canola oil spray
- 2 large brown onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 700mL bottle passata (tomato puree)
- 2 long red chillies, deseeded, finely diced
- 200g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup water
- freshly ground or cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoon lemon rind, finely grated
- 250g raw or cooked crab meat
- flat leaf parsley, chopped, to serve
- Bring a medium-sized saucepan of water to the boil.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook for 10-12 minutes until just tender, or according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, place a large non-stick fry-pan on high heat, spray with oil and cook onion for 5 minutes until softened, stirring often.
- Add garlic and chilli, cook a further 3 minutes.
- Stir through passata, cherry tomatoes and water; season with pepper.
- Bring to the boil and simmer on medium heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in lemon zest and crab and simmer, uncovered, until raw crab meat is just cooked, or cooked crab meat is warmed through.
- Toss cooked spaghetti through the sauce; season with pepper, sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
- Use 3-4 whole cleaned cooked crabs instead of the picked meat, or add crab meat to the sauce and reserve the shell and claws for presentation when serving.
- Serve immediately
- Medium saucepan
- large non-stick frypan
- stirring spoon
- serving bowls
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2015 reproduced with permission.