Special vegemite sammies + snacks
These lunchboxes are made for primary-aged children. For other ages and appetites simply increase or decrease servings of the main lunchbox item and add in a few more snacks to help silence rumbly tummies!
Please note: Prep time includes making of sandwich and packing of lunchbox with fruit and pre-prepared fritters.
- 1 vegemite sandwich
- 3 very veggie fritters *
- 2 kiwi fruit, skin removed and sliced
Vegemite sandwich ingredients
- 2 slices of wholemeal bread
- 1 teaspoon of margarine
- 1 teaspoon of vegemite
- 40g sliced low-fat cheddar cheese or cream cheese
* See recipe for full list of ingredients and preparation.
- Place slices of bread on a flat surface.
- Spread margarine across bread.
- Spread vegemite across 1 slice. Add cheese or spread on cream cheese (optional).
- Form sandwich by placing one bread on top of each other.
- Cut in half and place in container.
- Pack sandwich, fritters, and kiwi fruit in lunch box.
Team lunches with a drink that can easily freeze or keep cold. Some ideas include:
- A bottle of water.
- A bottle of water with ice cubes or frozen fruit ice cubes for flavour.
- Occasionally, add a small flavoured milk or 100% fruit juice.
Some fruit and vegetables are not available all year – check out the seasonal calendar to see what fruit is in season right now and substitute as needed!
- 1tbsp cream cheese instead of cheddar cheese