Spicy pumpkin soup
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 cups pumpkin, peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and quartered
- 1 teaspoon reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 1L water
- 4 tablespoons low-fat natural or Greek yoghurt, to serve
- 4 slices wholemeal or multigrain bread, to serve
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry onion, garlic, cumin and curry powder for 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are just soft.
- Use a stick blender, normal blender or food processor to blitz the soup till smooth. Add more water if you prefer a runnier soup.
- Serve with a slice of toast and a spoonful of yoghurt.
If you are making the soup to freeze, use less water and make a very thick soup. When cooled, put a big ladleful in a freezer bag, squeeze out all the air and then freeze. To defrost, put in the microwave or a pot with a ladleful of water.
- Can be frozen in freezer bags or plastic containers as individual servings for up to 6 months.
- large pot
- stick blender or food processor
- serving bowls
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia  reproduced with permission.